31. Some have breathed sighs of relief, others, including churches, right-to-life groups and the Australian ...|
31. Some have breathed sighs of relief, others, including churches, right-to-life groups and the Australian Medical Association, bitterly attacked the bill and the haste of its passage. But the tide is unlikely to turn back. |
[參考譯文] 一些機構終于松了一口氣，但是其他一些機構，包括教堂，倡導生命之 權的團體和澳大利亞醫學協會，尖銳地抨擊這個法案，指責法案的通過過于匆忙。但是大勢已定，不可逆轉。
32. In Australia- where an aging population, life-extending technology and changing community attitudes have all played their partother states are going to consider making a similar law to deal with euthanasia.
[參考譯文] 在澳大利亞--人口老齡化，延長壽命的技術和變化看的社會態度，這 些因素都在發揮作用一一其他的州也會考慮制定相似的關于安樂死的法律。
33. There are, of course, exceptions. Small--minded officials, rude waiters, and ill mannered taxi drivers are hardly unknown in the US. Yet it is an observation made so frequently that it deserves comment.
[參考譯文] 當然，例外是存在的。在美國，心胸狹窄的官員，粗魯的傳者，和沒有 禮貌的出租車司機也并不少見。然而人們常常得出這樣的觀察意見，這使得它值得被討論一下。
34. We live in a society in which the medicinal and social use of substances (drugs) is pervasive: an aspirin to quiet a headache, some wine to be sociable, coffee to get going in the morning, a cigarette for the nerves.
[參考譯文] 我們生活在一種藥品(毒品)的醫學用途和社會用途都很廣泛的社會里： 一片用來止頭痛的阿斯匹林，一些用來社交的葡萄酒，早上自己提提神所喝的咖啡，一支用來定神的香煙。
35. Dependence is marked first by an increased tolerance, with more and more of the substance required to produce the desired effect, and then by the appearance of unpleasant withdrawal symptoms when the substance is discontinued.
[參考譯文] 對藥品的依賴性首先表現為不斷增長的耐藥量，要產生想得到的效果所 需要的藥品劑量越來越大，然后表現為當停止用藥后，令人不快的停藥癥狀的出現。